|Release Date||August 1995|
The Original OverPower expansion debuted in August 1995 with 346 cards (39 Character Cards, 195 Special Cards, 27 Basic Universe Cards, 42 Mission Cards, 28 Power Cards, 9 Universe: Teamwork Cards, 6 Universe: Training Cards).
What is Original OverPower?
It was like if Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were poker playing maniacs.
It was a small, but powerful, universe the world was introduced to in Starter Decks and Booster Packs: Power cards, Universe cards, Mission cards, and Special cards.
OverPower offered beginner and advanced game options with the Battles Only and Battles and Missions. Strength teams began to throw their muscle around. The power of the teamwork card reared its head.
Only two people in each power type had an eight: Professor X and Magneto in Energy, Wolverine and Sabretooth in Fighting, and and Thing in Strength. Dr. Doom, Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Venom were the powerhouses of the game. Some might call them baby steps, but only if it was a baby Hulk!!!
Cards were distributed in:
- Booster packs of 9 cards
- Booster boxes of thirty-six 9 card booster packs
- Booster packs of 17 cards
- (Booster boxes of twenty-four 17 card booster packs -- unconfirmed)
- Starter decks of 62 cards
- Starter boxes of 12 starter decks (consisting of 3 Sworn to Protect, 3 Mutants Unite, 2 Clobberin' Time, 2 Deadly Foes, 1 Heroes Assemble, 1 Lethal Allies)
- Collector's gift set of 2 random starter decks and four 9 card booster packs
- Dual starter deck combos of 2 starter decks
There are 6 starter decks for Original Overpower, each of them had a deck of 55 cards (51 for the Draw pile and 4 Character cards), 7 Mission cards, Rules of Play booklet, Quick Reference Card and a "Collect All the OverPower Heroes & Villains" card.
- Clobberin' Time (Thing, War Machine, Spider-Woman, Thor)
- Deadly Foes (Sabretooth, Deadpool, Hobgoblin, Dr. Octopus)
- Heroes Assemble (Silver Surfer, Punisher, Colossus, Beast)
- Lethal Allies (Dr. Doom, Carnage, Omega Red, Rhino)
- Mutants Unite (Storm, Rogue, Gambit, Bishop)
- Sworn to Protect (Professor X, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Jubilee)
All Japanese Tournament re-release
Around the same time that Image OverPower came out, there were starter decks released in Japan with a Japanese translation of the Rules of Play booklet.
New Special Card codes
With the Original OverPower release, the following Special card codes were introduced: AA AB AC AD AE AF AG AH AI AJ AK AL AM AN AO AP AQ AR AS AT AU AV AW AX AY AZ BA BB BC BD BE BF BG BH BI BJ BM BP